Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1947 17 ft Deluxe Runabout (R-17 series) Factory Drawings

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rslingerland

1947 17 ft Deluxe Runabout (R-17 series) Factory Drawings

Post by rslingerland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Dear Forum Members,
I am restoring a 1947 17 ft Deluxe Runabout (R-17-302), which was disassembled by the previous owner. Consequently, it's original state is not well known to me. The relevant factory drawings would help, but as you know, the Mariner's Museum is dead-in-the-water for the moment. So, if any of you have already obtained the plans relevant to this R-17 series, I would very much appreciate a copy, and would be pleased to share the cost you incurred obtaining them from the museum. The boat in question, by the way, was recently advertised here: https://buy.antiqueboat.com/print.html? ... ng&id=1064 .
Thanks in advance,
Rudy Slingerland

Pete DeVito

Re: 1947 17 ft Deluxe Runabout (R-17 series) Factory Drawing

Post by Pete DeVito » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Rudy,
You have a great model boat there. My first boat was a 1948 17' Deluxe R17-1224. Let us know what you are looking for. There are a couple of folks on the Boat Buzz that are currently restoring the same model boat. Do you have the hull card? What do you want to do with the boat? Will it be a user boat or are you looking to do more?
I am sure we can assist with some of the assemble questions.
Pete
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

rslingerland

Post by rslingerland » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks Pete,
I do NOT have my hull card. My understanding from reading their website is that the Mariner's Museum Library is completely closed for research for a while. If that is not true, and you think one can access their materials, then do you have a particular contact in mind?

As for my purpose with the boat, I want a safe boat for "older" couples to take cruises in. It is not going to serve a family with kids, nor am I thinking a show boat. But of course, I want it to look as sharp as my skills will allow. Also, I want it to be as dependable as possible while preserving originality whenever possible. The electricals are already converted to 12 V by the previous restorer and the engine isn't original to the boat (but could have been, given that it's a CC K engine). I''ve already decided to preserve the mechanical fuel pump, but I have no qualms about putting in a new fuel filter, and USGC-approved rubber gas lines, for example.

My immediate interest in the line drawings is to accurately drill all of the thru-hull holes. The previous owner did a nice job reframing and installing a 3M 5200 bottom a la Danenberg, but hadn't cut any holes yet. So any help in that direction would be most appreciated. I'm slowly assembling some pictures and a timeline log of the previous work, and will post that location here in a week or so. It might help everyone know better where I'm at in the restoration.
Cheers,
Rudy

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Hey Rudy, I took the bottom off my '48 17 DLX in one piece and disassembled them later. Here are a few photos of them. All the holes are in the starboard side, the one closest to the stern is the auto bilge drain and the forward one is the manual drain. The center one with the backing block is the water intake and seems to be the most critical as regards location, particularly the distance from the keel as it has to locate between the rudder pipe and the shift pipe. Hope this helps.

Denis D
Attachments
old bottom together 004.JPG
old bottom together 003.JPG
old bottom together 002.JPG
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

Ed Andrews

Post by Ed Andrews » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 am

The museum is closed to searches but still offers prints and collections for sale. Go here, http://images.marinersmuseum.org/#/gall ... -runabout/
it looks like what you want. I ordered the digital version for my boat, saved it to my computer and have put the plans on coffee mugs and glass pictures etc. Good luck!

I went back on and the digital version does not come up as an option so call them.
1951 Chris Craft Holiday
1952 12' Kit Boat w/Johnson 15HP engine

1953 Chris Craft Commander 10HP Outboard

rslingerland

Post by rslingerland » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 am

Thank you Denis D. and Ed A. Both very helpful. I will call Museum and hope they can still access the digital archives.
Rudy Slingerland

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:39 pm

The drawings don't normally show the through hull fittings. I would look in the ACBS directory and find one close to you and go measure off of it. Unless its a show boat I would not put the rear siphon drain back in. Its simple to measure. Measure up the plank the hole is on from the transom. Then measure over from the garboard seam.