Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

54 CC Riviera 18 details

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jtodd398

54 CC Riviera 18 details

Post by jtodd398 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:29 pm

We entered our 54 CC Riviera 18 in the 2005 Tahoe Concours. Two of the "flaws" were placement of the fuel vent and CC hullside script which were, in fact, correct as a quick glance at the boat and an early 50's CC brochure would demonstrate. This lead me to question some of the other items that the judges believed were not as they would have been when the boat left the factory (the Tahoe judging standard).

I'd like feedback on what others think about these points-off items:

No flex hose between gas tank and fuel pump. My understanding is that the fuel line was all copper and also served as ground for the fuel gauge sender and stern light.

Two piece instead on one piece rubber mat in front cockpit. The hull card checked mats on floor rather than linoleum. The boat has a two piece white pyramid flooring.

Blond aft deck should be a butt seam to the transom cap. Some period pictures appear show a white caulked seam between the blond deck and the transom cap.

No sound board on back of rear seat.

What do you think? Was the judge correct that these items were incorrect?

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:29 pm

John,

I asked Terry Fiest about this one. He is a lead judge at the Tahoe Concours, usually for Blonde Decks, but not this last year. Anyway-

The fuel line should be all copper, no flex hose.

The flooring should be one piece in the front cockpit, white pyramid rubber mat.

There should be an unpainted soundboard on the back seat.

No word on the butt seam vs. caulked seam. Can you post the factory pictures you say show a definitive white line? That would answer that question.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:10 pm

jtodd:

We do not yet have the functionality to upload photos on the forum. It is coming soon I promise.

In the interim, please send me the photos (see email addresss below) and I can post them.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Archive Photos Showing Seam in Question

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:41 am

Here are the Mariners' Museum archive photos that John Todd is referring to:

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/i ... _seam1.jpg

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/i ... _seam2.jpg
Bill Basler