Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

My Chris Craft

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

DForehand

My Chris Craft

Post by DForehand » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

I have a Chris Craft that was passed down to me from my father after his passing. I am wanting to restore it. The Hull Number is V16 942. STARB D 12 or Single 15.
Engine Number is 203814, Model K, Firing Order 153624 best I can tell from the motor.

I've got one question right now, where is the best place to send this motor to have it rebuilt and what would the cost estimate be to do so?

And, any idea what year my boat is?

thanks everyone,
Dale
Attachments
Hull Info.jpg
Engine Number Chris-Craft.jpg

Captain Nemo

Re: My Chris Craft

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:16 pm

Hi, Welcome to the boat buzz.
My best guess, looking at The Essential Guide, your boat is a cavalier.
Hull no. is more likely V15 942- V is for the Cavalier division and 15 is the boat length. I say that it must be 15' long because the 16's were outboards. 942 is the production sequence #. These were built between 1955-1959, with 1096 hulls produced. 942 may have been built in 1958 maybe?
The numbers on the bottom of the ID plate tell what propeller it has. In your case it is a 12x15, meaning 12" diameter with a 15" pitch.
I could dig deeper into my archives and find the engine number production date which might narrow your year to a year or two but I think your boat is probably a !958.
Post pictures if you can we would all like to see your new project.
Attachments
tempImagexOCi94.gif
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

DForehand

Re: My Chris Craft

Post by DForehand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 am

I am digging into removing the rotten wood and my next step, I think is to get the motor rebuilt....my questions are:

1. Where is the best place to have the motor rebuilt? It is a Model K,
2. What is a best guess on how much this would cost?

thanks
Dale