Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

XK19 V-Drive vs. I/O

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tminihan

XK19 V-Drive vs. I/O

Post by tminihan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm considering purchasing an XK19 with V-Drive. Do these pose any unique challenges that make them less desireable or more difficult to work with than the I/O models? Thanks, Tom

Peter XK19

Go fast?

Post by Peter XK19 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Tom,
The XK-19 performs alot better with the I/O set up.
Apart from better manouverability the wheight distribution is further back with the I/O which helps top speed.

The V-dr boats were manufactured in a total of 75 (1970) and the I/O in a total of 201 (1970-1975).

In my opinion the I/O also looks better difining the boat as a 60s and 70s high performance powerboat.

The V-drives are harder to maintane and repaire but if thats your choice you are already on the right forum for input and feedback
:wink:

Peter
www.xk19.com

vince xk19

Post by vince xk19 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 pm

I would say they present the same difficulty level to work on, just different. The V-drive is harder to get to, low in the bilge and kind-of under the engine. They can be a little tricky to align due to the tight work space and the short drive shaft which makes alignment more critical. The I/O is very accessible but is more complex relatively speaking and if you have an internal problem it is better left to the professional to be fixed. The V-drive is a simpler device but would also be better left to the professional for internal repair.

I would let you preference or availability guide you in your selection. It sounds like you have a V-drive lined up so that may be the way to go as these boats can be a little difficult to find at times. One last thing, there are fewer V-drives than I/O as they only made the V-drive in 69 (Commander SS version) and 70. That may or may not be important to you but is worth mentioning. Bottom line, get one that you like. You will know it when you see it. If you have a chance, after you purchase one, please register it at the XK19 Project . This will ultimately help all of us understand the details of this truly unique and wonderful boat.

Vince
[email protected]

tminihan

Post by tminihan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:50 am

Peter/Vince, I appreciate the quick responses. Peter: you mentioned the looks, are the bodies different or do you mean the hull/running gear combined? The boat I'm currently looking at is in CA so shipping may be cost prohibitive as I'm in VA. While my preference is an I/O, I will settle for something in my price range ($10k) and is water ready. There are a few good ones on ABC and ABA, but they are pretty pricey. Thanks, Tom

mike xk19

V drive vs I/O

Post by mike xk19 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

I recently completed a total restoration of my I/O xk19. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined the I/O is easy to rebuild because most parts are readily available and not as expensive to acquire. I'm sure in either case though your personal preference will prevail. The I/O is very fast and I'm extremely satisfied. Good luck in your choice. Mike

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi,

I own a 1972 XK22 with the 270 Volvo I/O and in the 11 years I've owned her, I've had very little trouble with the I/O. Except for the bearings in the intermediate housing/driveshaft between the engine and the outdrive needing replaced, I've had great luck with my I/O.

Also my dad had three friends who all owned early 70's vintage CC Lancer 23 footers, all with the Volvo outdrive and they all had real great luck with the I/O.

I know this doesn't really help with the question of which would be better in a XK19, but I'm just posting my experience with the durability of the Volvo drives. Seems to me, as long as you don't run on to death and keep the oil changed in it, it will hold up very well.

Ron Michael
1972 XK22