Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

re-attach seat

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Budman

re-attach seat

Post by Budman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:20 pm

I have a 73 Lancer 23 inboard. Leaned back in the driver's seat yeaterday and three forward screws on the base turned loose. I would think I have to get underneath the floor to at least assess the damage, but looks like a major undertaking including removing sideboards, etc. The floor itself is not spongy or soft anywhere else.

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 pm

You could probably remove the seat base altogether, drill oversize holes where the screws were, epoxy new wood plugs or patch pieces in with WEST SYSTEM epoxy, grind or sand flush, and then redrill new screw holes in fresh wood. If you are slick, you will only have to remove deck covering material under the footprint of the seat base and you won't be able to tell a repair was even made.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Budman

seat repair

Post by Budman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have no floor covering, just the white fiberglass floor. I will epoxy 3/4 marine plywood plugs in oversized holes, and try to sit carefully. Absolutely love the Lancer as does my wife, each time a "project" rears its head, she just smiles and says, "that's boating"

Bud

Peter XK19

ynot

Post by Peter XK19 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Budman,
arent your seat basees round ? in that case you could just turn them counter or clock wise and find new fresh wood to screw into. In all my -70 to -74 boats there has been a tough metal sheet under the floor in wich to screw into.

Peter
www.xk19.com

Budman

Post by Budman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Yes, they are round, I was concerned that too many holes too close together would result in weakening the area and ultimately cause more problems. I will inspect carefully, and if there is metal, that is an easy solution. Thanks a lot.
Bud