Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

sunlounger 135 transom plug?

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jimmymoon

sunlounger 135 transom plug?

Post by jimmymoon » Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 pm

I was just doing some thinking here and was wondering, i have read that the corsair sunloungers have a balsa wood and foam core, so if thats true i just dont understand why i have a transom plug at the bottom of the transom? Also does anyone know what the interior looked like on these? And also ive been wondering where i could find an orriginal or very similar steering wheel for the boat.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm

On your outboard XL155 there will be a few differences. The post that you are referencing is for an I/O powered XL175. The main difference is that your boat has an outboard well. I am not "in the know" enough about the 155s to know why they might have a plug in the bilge but not so on the I/O version. I can only assume that the outboard version has the exact same internal construction as the 175 I/O (Transdrive) version.

After tearing into ours to a deep level, I can tell you that a bilge plug below the floor level would have little functionality. With the foamed-in bilge, there are so many obstructions, that the water would not stand a chance in getting back to the stern.

I have been communicating with another XL175 outboard owner recently. He has shared photos of his deceased father's boat with me. It is an absolute time capsule. This is the same boat that Andreas Jordahl Rhude has. Different year, I believe. This boat has its original interior. Original bimini top. Original side curtains. On and on. This boat has been stored inside since day one, and had not seen the water since the 1970s. Less than 100 hours on the original 650 Mercury outboard, accumulating about 2 hours per year. This boat is a 1964 just like mine...literally the outboard equivalent of the"Blue Bomb."

The photos have shed some light on a few points of confusion on my project. But I was ecstatic to see that our new upholstery, and interior details are pretty much dead on. By the way, my project boat has this same steering wheel. It is a DetMar (Detroit Marine) pearlescent squared oval plastic wheel. I have been watching eBay for four years with no luck in finding one similar. The one of this boat is spectacular. The center cap, I believe, is unique to Chris-Craft. I had to restore my wheel. It took me awhile but the results are pretty darn close. Detroit Marine is still in business today. I called them last year, and they have quite an archive of their prior year's wheels. I pleaded my case to them, and if they had the wheel they would have sold me one. But, no such luck, they did not have this unique wheel in their inventory.

In the photo of the pristine XL175 outboard, you can see that there is one drain above the outboard splash well. And there is another down low...but it appears to me that this lower plug is still above the floor. Yours could be different?

Bill Basler

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 am

What a beautiful piece of history!
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

jimmymoon

Post by jimmymoon » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 am

th tenth picture down, same as my plug and its below the floor, im glad you posted these pictures on here now i can see what the interior is like, that is a beautiful boat, mines not in that great shape but im working on getting it close to perfect as i can.

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 am

I have the same drain plug in my 1966 CC by Thompson Corsair Sport V 17'-6" outboard. It is above the floor pan. There is NO drain plug below ther floor pan in the bilge area.

The splash well has a couple of drain holes thru the transom. No plug necessary. Very typical of an outboard wooden or fiberglass boat.

Andreas