Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gar Wood Speedster Plans ABM

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with Gar Wood, the man, and the Company.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Gar Wood Speedster Plans ABM

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:39 am

All;

I just got the plans from ABM on the Gar Wood Speedster. I was a little dissappointed but the lines do look good and for $50 what can you expect.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually built one of these off the ABM plans??

It looks pretty straight forward but the plans lack a lot of detail.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 am

I never got a call back from ABM. I guess I need to follow up with them.

Matt

cenger

Post by cenger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:11 am

Don,
I tried to get the plans for ABM but was told they were out of stock so I wound up getting plans from a guy in Australia.
http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/g ... behave.htm

I’m using the plans to help with my re-build of a 1935 16’ Split Cockpit that used the same hull. Some of my patterns were beyond salvage so the plans have been very useful and accurate. The plans print to full size so no lofting involved. Once I finish my Split Cockpit, I will use the plans build a Speedster Replica.

Bill Foley

Post by Bill Foley » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 am

Last fall I waited for ABM to restock the plans and finally called them and got a set promptly. I have a replica speedster built in the early sixtys that I am restoring. The orginal builder was very accurate in reproducing the orginal. It seems to match the plans amazing well. So just call them to see if them don't acually have the palns in stock.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Matt;

They do have the plans back in stock.

Bill, can you tell us more about your 60's reproduction. What was the construction like and did it replicate the original? Any pictures you can post?

Thanks
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Cenger;

Do you think the guy used the ABM plans of Miss Behave for the CAD plans he developed? I'm just curious how accurate they are to the original design.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

cenger

Post by cenger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm

The frames that I made from the plans lined up nicely when I overlaid the original chines so everthing seem to be accurate but I can say for sure if they were build from the ABM plans.

I matched up my Stem with plans and the outer dimesions were exact but the location of the knee and gripe length were different. Not sure if that is because of a real difference between the 35 Split Cockpit and Speedster.

Bill Foley

Post by Bill Foley » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks for asking Don. The bottom is batton construction with 1/4" plywod, then canvas, and 1/2" mahogany planks. Power comes froma Chris Craft K engine. The photo below shows us establishing athe boot stripe before disassembly.

This a picture in the shop a couple of months later showing the patterns that will increase the deck crown.

The speedster has been pushed aside so we can finis the restoration o a Chris Craft Rocket for ths summer.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Re: Gar Wood Speedster Plans ABM

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Bill

You ever get back on the Gar Speedster?
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com