Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Corintian Skiffs -- A Confused Boat

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

evansjw44

Corintian Skiffs -- A Confused Boat

Post by evansjw44 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Well I have a '67 35' Corinthian skiff. My father had a '63 34' Corinthian. I have a friend that has a '70 Corinthian skiff. So they are all different in some ways. The Corinthian name got attached to the higher end trim of the skiff line. The Sea Hawk was less expensive but basically the same boat. I don't know when the Corinthian line started but '63 might be the beginning. I've seen '64s. I think in '66 the Corinthian got the planked topsides treatment in lieu of the lapstreak to the shear hull. Full lap streak hull got named Sea Hawks. '69 was the last of the planked hull Corinthians. In '70 the Sea Skiff Corinthian was really a Cavelier in disguise.
Jim Evans

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Jim,

The Custom Corinthian line was introduced in 1962. Then in 1965 the Corinthian name was used for the new smooth plank sided models in 35' and 38'. In 1966 the 32' model was added and a 42' fully planked model was built. The others had the traditional plywood lap strake bottoms with mahogany planked sides. The 42' model had a double planked bottom; plywood inner and solid mahogany outer planks. The Division was officially terminated in 1969 but some that were still available were sold under the Main Division into 1070. The Canadian operation continued building a few in 1970.
Al
Member - Executive Team