Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Leaky bottom

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bismarck

Leaky bottom

Post by Bismarck » Mon May 24, 2021 10:52 am

Hello, I have a decent amount of water coming into my boat after about 30 minutes of running. I would say about an inch or maybe an inch and a half. It clears out once I get onto a plane because of the venturi system in the back. The electric bilge pump only kicks in when the weight is transferred to the front. Is this an abnormal amount of water? I am new to wooden boats. A local chapter told me the bottom needs to soak and recommended me putting a garden hose in it while its in storage and allowing 5 inchs of water to accumulate and allowing it to sit for three days before emptying it. Its 17 feet long and has a beam of 7 feet so that would be roughly 30 cubic feet of water or 1700 lbs of water. This seems like a lot to me. I have already climbed around inside and cant find a leak, but when it is running it does appear to be coming from the chime. Any advice?

Bismarck

Re: Leaky bottom

Post by Bismarck » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:54 pm

I went ahead and put water into it and that seemed to help massively. I am however beginning to consider selling it as I am unsure of how much time I want to begin sinking into the upkeep of her. Would anyone be interested in talking me out of or through the process? Inherited the boat but damn the wood upkeep seems to take all the fun out of the boating

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 am

What make and model of boat?
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bismarck

Post by Bismarck » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 pm

1948 chris craft deluxe runabout 17' KBL

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Have you left it in the water for any length of time? It can take 2 or more days to soak up completely. Even after that it isn’t unusual to see some water after running, as flexing can cause some leaking.
Does she have the original bottom or older replacement?
That’s a nice model boat there, probably worth keeping.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Bismarck

Post by Bismarck » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:05 pm

I let the water sit in the hull for three days and it stopped leaking and swelled. I drained the water and then took it to the lake. It did not take in any water.

There is a spot about the size of a penny of rot beginning to form on a rib and I think I do not have the time to have this as an ongoing project. The bottom was rebuilt in 1994 and is an original style soak bottom. If I were to keep it I suppose I would pay to have a 5200 bottom put on. PM me your number I would love to get your thoughts on long term ownership.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:12 pm

It doesn’t sound like you have an alarming amount of water coming in. As far as the rot spot goes, I can’t say without looking, how involved that repair might be.
In the long term, a 5200 bottom would give you many years of service.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.