Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Pertronix 6Volt Electronic Ignition for Chrysler Ace

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

cenger

Pertronix 6Volt Electronic Ignition for Chrysler Ace

Post by cenger » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:58 am

Wanted to get collective thoughts on 6V Pertronix electronic ignitions. I have a 1935 Chrysler Ace PC that is very hard to start. Once started runs like a champ but restarting cold or hot is difficult even if I turn it off for a second and try to restart. I have a brand new fuel tank with a fuel filter, fuel pump rebuilt with plenty of fuel getting pumped. I rebuilt the carburetor, changed the cap and rotor and installed a very large Group 4 6v batter all with no effect on ease of starting. I converted to a 6V negative Pertronix ignition years ago hoping it would help but am now questioning if the ignition has made it more difficult. Anyone have toughs on points vs. electronic for these small flathead engines? My distributor is and Autolite IGC-4401A.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

evansjw44

Re: Pertronix 6Volt Electronic Ignition for Chrysler Ace

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:42 am

I have a couple of questions for you. When you crank the engine does it crank slow? Have you measured the voltage at the battery terminals, ignition coil, and starter while cranking? The possibilities are that the starter is in need of a rebuild hence it draws too much current, lowering the system voltage to where the pertronix won't fire. Pertronix ignition doesn't fire at low voltage. The engine could be tight in that clearance issues with bearing and perhaps pistons or piston rings is loading the starter excessively.
Jim Evans

cenger

Post by cenger » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:37 am

I think the Group 4 6volt battery solved my issue. When I first put in the Group 4 battery in I did not see much of a change in ease of starting but did note the battery looked like it had been sitting around for a while. I gave the new battery a good charge and staring became almost instant. I think the source of my problem has been a combination of the Group 1 battery along with the electronic ignition.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

jim g

Post by jim g » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:40 pm

If you want to go back to a smaller size battery next time you need to replace it. You can get the interstate optima 6 volt battery. It will fit in the space of a group 1 but has close to the same CCA as a group 4.

Also when running pretronix on the 6 volt system. You need to maintain the battery charge. Get a 6 volt Battery Tender for your battery and keep it plug up when your not using the boat. It won't overcharge the battery.

cenger

Post by cenger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Is anyone aware of a solar powered 6 volt battery tender? Google and Amazon not turning up anything?
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 pm

cenger wrote:Is anyone aware of a solar powered 6 volt battery tender? Google and Amazon not turning up anything?
I see a number of them on Ebay used for trail cams and deer feeders.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am

Pertronix works fine for my pre war K. Never had a problem. My guess is that the hard starting issue lies elsewhere.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"