Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hydraulic transtran

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

Hydraulic transtran

Post by trebot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm

I've been told these trans can be run in reverse with no problem, I ask because the replacement engine/trans i'm looking at may be reverse rotation. Haven't seen yet to check rotation, but planning ahead. I would rather leave engine left rotation if thats how it spent its life: run trans in reverse and keep r/h rotation prop on the boat.

jfrprops

Re: Hydraulic transtran

Post by jfrprops » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 pm

maybe I am late to the post? But if you are talking about a Paragon Hyd. unit....it certainly can be reversed and with little ill affect....true the gearing has a sort of preferred cut to it....but you just rotate the plate and voila.
John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

davidvn

Post by davidvn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 am

If you’re talking about a paragon transmission like an HF7 then you can’t accomplish what you were trying to do. You can run the transmission on a left or right hand Engine by reversing the pump on the front of the transmission. But the output shaft is going to run the direction of the engine. The forward mechanism of the transmission is a simple clamping of clutch plates to couple the engine to the transmission. The reverse mechanism is a set of planetary gears used to reverse the rotation of the output shaft. The planetary gears are not meant for constant duty usage and will fail pretty quickly if you try to use it in reverse to drive the boat forward. There are transmissions made by ZF that can run in either direction and can be used to reverse the rotation of the propeller shaft from the engine. I hope I understand your question correctly If I have missed something my apologies

trebot

Re: Hydraulic trans

Post by trebot » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 am

Maybe I'm betteroff just getting a L/H rotating prop. Wonder if that will affect anything else on a 18' Continental.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 am

David, sent you a private email about this...thanks, John in VA
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am

Dave sent me a great response via private email...many thanks
1980 Fairchild Scout 30