Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KL Oil

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

KL Oil

Post by trebot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Just bought a '56 Continental. Has KL motor. Want to change oil before I try to start it. What is the capacity? Any brand / weight
recommendations? Planning on using Quaker State High Mileage 10W30. Have run this brand in my Ford pickup for 200k miles with no problems.

Bilge Rat

Re: KL Oil

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:09 am

These engines want to run on SAE30 straight weight oil, not a 10W variety. Also, either you will need oil with ZDDP content already in it (Brad Penn oil has this) or add ZDDP yourself. I forget the chemical names in ZDDP, but modern oil no longer has this as a consent to hydraulic lifters and catalytic converters. Your engine has flat solid tappets (lifters) and needs ZDDP to prevent cam lobe wear in this highly loaded portion of the rotating sections.

You can Google ZDDP, Amazon also sells it in quantity.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bilge Rat

Re: KL Oil

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 am

Also, do not use synthetic oil as the transmission shares the same oil as the engine. Synthetics are too slippery and cause transmission issues with this engine. Capacity should be around 7 - 8 quarts if I recall. You will have to pump out the old oil through the dipstick and also remove the transmission cover to suck out what remains there. I would suggest a battery connected oil change pump instead of the human powered pump-it-yourself kind, 8 quarts takes a while to pull from the crankcase.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"