Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Model K Engine Troubleshooting

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

[email protected]

Model K Engine Troubleshooting

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:55 pm

New owner of a '52 Sportsman 17, which has a 1957 Model K in it. First off I have to say I'm loving this forum, learning a ton, and everyone I've met out here in the classic boat community around the Chesapeake has been amazing and helpful. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any other advice or recommendations to fix my challenges.

Engine was rebuilt 2 years ago by the prior owner when they restored the boat, but was used maybe 30 hours in the past couple of years. It runs beautifully and sounds perfect, but I'm having issues with the water temp. At idle (750-800 rpm), which is it's common speed while we putter around creeks and the harbor, it runs at about 190. Generally won't go above that, but I kept the trips relatively short as I've been troubleshooting the past week. At 2000 rpm it will drop back down to 150, and when out on the bay at 2400 rpm it will be drop to around 130. Haven't taken it up above 2400 rpm yet, ran great at that level, but still in the testing phase.

Water flow seemed just a touch low to me, so I've repacked grease into the zerk cap and tightened a little, and made sure the seacock and the input hose are free of obstruction. I think that helped with the water flow slightly, looks a little more normal, but the temps are still running similar to what I listed above. My next thought was possibly an obstruction in the pump itself? No problem pulling it off and cleaning it up, but if someone has other ideas I'd love to hear them.

There also looks to be a significant amount of rust flakes blowing out when the engine is fired up. Best guess there is that's inside the exhaust and a symptom of the engine having sat so much in the past. It's been run on the Chesapeake, so water is brackish, any suggestions there? Didn't want to throw in a fuel additive or do anything rash without seeking some advice from more experienced folks first.

Gas originally in the tank may be a little old, so the octane could have dropped which I thought could be one issue. I''ve added new but wonder if I just blow through a tank of new ethanol free if it would help any of these. Oil looks clean and level is good. I'd swear there's the faintest bit of smoke coming out around the oil cap, but that's also right next to the rather hot water pump and may just be steam. Not the main thing I'm thinking about, but if it's a telltale for another issue please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help, looking forward to learning something

L76

Re: Model K Engine Troubleshooting

Post by L76 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 pm

Did you check the water filter/debris trap? These can get clogged up... in which case the water temp lowering at higher RPM would make sense. Not too sure about what you see coming out of the exhaust however. That's not good... can you elaborate?

L76
1948 Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout
Spends her time in Tahoe

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Update 3 weeks later -

L76 - Did check the screen on the intake for any debris and it was pretty clean. Did have to force open the seacock as that valve is sticking. Water Flow eventually went down to nothing the middle of last week, literally none coming out the exhaust. My check of the water pump and impellers showed nothing amiss, and I replaced a couple water hoses that were actually old and somewhat kinked heater hose with a more modern and proper piece, but no joy.

After lots of thought on my part and a somewhat prophetic dream from a fellow enthusiast, I started working from the exhaust end back through the water flow, pulling and inspecting every hose on the way through. Lo and behold I found the hose from the manifold to the head was bone dry, but there was water in the hose from the oil cooler to the manifold. Using the highly sophisticated method of hooking a garden hose up to the system after the oil cooler and putting some pressure through, I was able to blow some debris (grass, leaves, assorted muck) out of the system without too much trouble until water was flowing though really nicely. For good measure I ran it through the other direction as well so the system should be flowing fine.

Now... of course while fixing one thing, I seem to have created another issue. The motor now will not turn over. I didn't adjust or touch anything mechanical in this whole process on the water flow, but think that while moving and retightening items to get to hoses, I've managed to foul up the points on the distributor. When I tightened the wire from the coil to the distributor down, looks like I sprung something. While examining and trying to find parts for this, I've discovered that none of the ignition system matches what it should from anything I've found on that part of the forum to date, so too be continued, possibly on the electrical systems group.

Any other thoughts from anyone are more than welcome.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:25 am

A month later still cannot get this K to start again:
- Have spark on all six band new plugs
- Have 125-130psi compression in each cylinder
- Fuel pump is pushing fuel nicely into the newly rebuilt carb (it was pretty gummed up) - as much as I've been turning it over it should be pretty full - tank of gas is ethanol free stuff less than a month old
- When I spray a squirt of starter fluid into the intake while turning over the motor, it will occasionally fire once, just enough to disconnect the starter

My next thought is maybe timing issue, though nothing I've done with the motor makes me think I'd have fouled that.

Any suggestions?

seans

Post by seans » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:11 pm

There is a capacitor on the side of the distributer. Try replacing it. I replaced the fuel in my 53 Riviera, cleaned the spark plugs and it wouldn't attempt to start at all. I replaced the capacitor and it started right up. It was about $12 at an auto parts store. One concern for this idea to work is that you said it did turn over and attempt to start when you used starting fluid. Mine did not attempt to start at all so could be different but its a cheap way thing to try.