Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Painting the bilge

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

Painting the bilge

Post by island time » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 am

Ok I know this isn't in the correct place but there isn't a correct place in the fiberglass area.
I'm ready to pull the engine out of the Commander and do the shaft tube repair followed by extreme cleaning and painting.
Here is my question for y'all. Should I use paint or gel coat to finish the bilge? I've been watching a subject on Utube where a guy is doing some extreme repairs on a boat and I noticed he's finishing the bilge as well as all his repairs with gel coat.
Just curious what you think, I'm thinking the gelcoat would be far superior to paint of any sort but having never been faced with this project I'm curious about pros and cons either way.
Please chime in.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

joanroy

Re: Painting the bilge

Post by joanroy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Gel coat is fine over glass, but it's pretty unforgiving if not done properly. Very careful prep, mixing, and application is a must. Paint is easier but less durable depending on type and brand. The two part epoxy paints are an option. Whatever you use, follow the manufacturers instruction carefully. It's all about the prep. Happy Bilge Painting!

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

I would definitely stay away from gel coat unless you have a proper way to mix and apply a large amount at a time since it sounds lake your covering a large area. I have used the 2 part epoxy paints on both interior and exterior applications. Easy to work with and have held up great over the years. Just make sure all oil residue is removed. Another option is a coat of fiberglass resin but you have to make sure you sand the existing first to ensure adhesion.

island time

Post by island time » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Many thanks, I will do more research before I make the decision.
I just wanted to know what others thought if faced with the option.
The glass is all in good shape, just polluted with oil and such. Extreme cleaning is in order no matter what.
If I have to sand before I put on a coat of resin I could go that route. I was faced with that up front where I had to repair a hole. In fact I was sort of planning on doing that after the degreasing phase anyway just to have a nice smooth surface to work with.
If I use a two part paint will that not be similar in terms of mixing etc to the gel coat?
I will post my progress. I'm hoping others will jump in with their views.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 am

I've just always felt more comfortable working with epoxy paint than gel coat. You have more working time and no waste, its more forgiving and if your working in a closed environment, the fumes wont kill you.