Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bottom Paints...

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rannamy

Bottom Paints...

Post by rannamy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am

Just spent about 2 more hours searching for answers as to what is the best bottom paint to use... and I'm still not sure, so I decided to just ask. :roll:

The boat's bottom ('49 33' CC Deluxe Enclosed Cruiser) is 60% new with the remaining 40% just sanded plywood, all has recieved multiple coats of CPES(now somewhat "shiny" in appearence) and ready to paint. It will initially be floated in fresh water, but after about a year, relocating her to salt(St. Petersburg, FL).

I am also looking into "X-Line" or Rhino type products. Any and all help, opinions and personal success/failures will be most appreciated!

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm

i can highly recommend Micron extra if you are leaving the boat in the water for an extended period. I had my boat in the water for 2+ years without a lot of use due to engine problems and when I pulled her out there was not any growth on the bottom at all.

Jeff

rannamy

Micron extra

Post by rannamy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for the input Jeff. Was this a similar application? plywood, salt/freshh water, cpes, etc.?

Randy

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 am

Randy,

The Interlux Micron Extra will serve you well in fresh, brackish or salt water.

A group in Arizona were talking about trying a bed-liner type material on the bottom of a cruiser but don't know if they followed through or not. Who knows, it might work in a fresh water environment in Arizona. The problem is, in most fresh water conditions algae and slime grows quickly unless there's some ingredient on the bottom to prevent it. In salt and brackish water, sealife attaches itself and must be scraped off. So the question may be if the nasty stuff can be removed from that type of material without damaging it.

The CPES should be a good base coat and primer for the bottom.
Al
Member - Executive Team

rannamy

Bottom Paint

Post by rannamy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks for the input Al. I had a discussion with the owner of our local X-Line office and learned the following; They prefer to do the work in their facility, it cost $8-$10 /sq ft, they have no data or experience with woodies, the product stops all water intrusion(he said that the rhino type products do not) and they have a portable unit to do off-site work, but it requires 2 individual 110/20 amp services. He described the coating as a "thick plastic coating"... not what I'm looking for! The rhino-type products interested me becauce of their flexibility and durability as noted (above water) when utilized to protect floors. I will be coating some materials with the stuff and hanging it in both salt and fresh water down here in Florida, then we'll see what happens. In the mean time, sounds like it will be the Micron Extra this time.

Thanks again,
Randy

gscherb

bottom finish

Post by gscherb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 am

The best procedure over epoxy is a two part epoxy primer such as pettit makes since you are in Mount Dora you can stop by the shop and I will show it to you. Gary, Old Time Boat Co

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 am

If it was me I would go one step further after applying and sanding the CPES, then 2 coats of 2000E barrier coat then use the Micron Extra.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

rannamy

Re: Bottom Paints...

Post by rannamy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

This is what I ended up doing here... 4 coats of CPES, 5 coats of the E2000, 2 coat of Petit’s Hydrocoat... time will tell.

maritimeclassics

Re: Bottom Paints...

Post by maritimeclassics » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 am

Good choice, let us know how she hold up.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout