Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Stern Ensign For a 1961 Ski Boat

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Stovebolt

Stern Ensign For a 1961 Ski Boat

Post by Stovebolt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey all,

I tried searching for info about how big a stern ensign should be for my 61, but was finding a lot of pre-war stuff. I have a flag on the pole, but it's too big. I know this because it damn near touches the water, AND it almost tore the mount right out of the back of the boat. So, 2 good indicators that I'm way off in my sizing. :roll:

Any help would be aces!!!

Thank you!!!
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

Ed Andrews

Re: Stern Ensign For a 1961 Ski Boat

Post by Ed Andrews » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 pm

this may help it's from the USPS flag etiquette.

Size of Flags
Flags are often too small. When your purchase your flags, use the following guidelines, rounding up to the next larger commercially available size when necessary.

The national ensign flown at a flag staff at the stern of your boat should be one inch on the fly for each foot of overall length.

All other flags such as club burgees, officer flags, and private signals for use on sailboats should be approximately 1/2 inch on the fly for each foot above the waterline of the tallest mast on the boat. (That is, if the tope of the mast is 30 feet above the waterline, these other flags should be 15 inches on the fly.) On powerboats, these flags should be 5/8 inch on the fly for each foot of overall length. The shape and proportions of pennants and burgees will be prescribed by the organization to which they relate. A union jack should be the same size as the canton of the national ensign being flown from the flag staff.

Many foreign ensigns—courtesy flags—sold in stores are not manufactured to correct proportions. For instance, the flags of all former British Commonwealth countries, including Canada, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands, are correctly proportioned 1:2, i.e., the fly is twice the length of the hoist. As a matter of interest, the United States flag is correctly proportioned 10:19 (nearly 1:2), not 3:5 as is commonly available.
1951 Chris Craft Holiday
1952 12' Kit Boat w/Johnson 15HP engine

1953 Chris Craft Commander 10HP Outboard

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

I currently fly a 16x24 ensign on the back of our '69 Cavalier 17' Ski Boat. It will get wet if I come of plane too quickly and have a big stern wave roll up, otherwise it just gets some exhaust spray on it. The 12x18 is probably more correct for this size of vessel but it just looks too small.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Thank you so much for the info guys!!! I will go hunting for my flag now!
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft