Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Bracket for Attaching Trailer Winch Hook

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

j_hart

Bracket for Attaching Trailer Winch Hook

Post by j_hart » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:42 am

Recently I saw a 1940 C-C 15 1/2' runabout with a bracket about midway down the stem for attaching a trailer winch hook. It consisted of 2 chrome straps each about 1/2"-3/4" wide and 12" long, running parallel with the plank seam, with 4 holes in each, 3 1/4" on center with a wood screw thru each hole into the planking and seam batten. I don't recall what kind of eye attachment was used. The owner said the bracket was on the boat when he acquired it and doesn't know whether it was made by C-C or others. Has anyone seen this bracket or know anything about it?

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am

John, this sounds like a previous owner add on to me. Are you intending on using the eye to pull the boat onto the trailer? Or are you just using it as a tie down point?

I would suggest other methods if at all possible.
Bill Basler

chriscraftrick

Boat loading and tie down?

Post by chriscraftrick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm interested in this also as the boat I aquired did not have a whench to get the boat on the trailer. There is nothing on the cutwater so how do I get it up on the trailer. There are also no tie downs for trailering. How do I keep the boat on the trailer on longer hauls. I appreciate all the discussions here. Thanks a lot.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:05 pm

This may sound over idealistic but the recommended method of trailering a classic or antique is to float the boat all the way onto the bunks. The bow isn't designed to be pulled on, neither is the lifting ring (except straight up). The best way is to have an extra long tongue so the trailer can be submerged far enough for this to happen.

As for tying down, raise the wench tower up above the forward deck so the strap can be secured to the lifting ring without scuffing the varnish. At the rear, secure straps to the strut.

Al