Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Need a Hannum Steering Gear Assmbly

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

maritimeclassics

Need a Hannum Steering Gear Assmbly

Post by maritimeclassics » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 am

Looking for a Hannum steering gear assembly for one of the 1929 28’ Chris Crafts that I am restoring. As far as I can tell they used them before 1930 and the painted black flat wooden wheels came from the same company. I don’t know off hand what the shaft length needs to be but I was told that that piece can be made. I am looking for any information on the company as well, here is a photo. Mike Green
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

DeanS29

Post by DeanS29 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:23 am

Mike, I am restoring a 1929 24' runabout. Is the Hannum also the proper steering gear for my boat. The steering gear in the boat says Saginaw Gear but does not look original. Attached is a photo of the Saginaw.

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:55 pm

From looking at your picture I would have to say it may have been changed. The reason I say that is the bracket that holds the steering box is something that I have never seen before. As you may know Chris Craft did change from time to time the hardware that they were using though. One way to tell is if the support that holds the steering box to the stringers was altered. This should look like a wishbone approximately 1 ½ inches thick and run over and past the stringer about 5 inches, the steering box would be directly attached to this. Also on the wishbone support is the quadrant for the throttle and some times the lifting bracket that is attached to the lifting ring would be bolted through this. In the photo provided shows what I call the wishbone. The Y bracket shown is for the larger runabouts and may not have been used on the 24 footers but you should have the vertical piece. I will look into it further and see if I can come up with a definite answer. Can you send a better photo of the way it is mounted and also if there is any one else out there that has an original 1929 24’ that can help please let us know.
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout

DeanS29

Post by DeanS29 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 pm

I have removed the gearbox so I attached a picture of the bracket that was holding the gear box and a better picture of the Saginaw gearbox. Thanks Dean

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:17 pm

From reviewing your photos and a bit of research this is what I have found. Chris Craft used a few different suppliers over the early 20’s till the early 30’s; Ross, Hannum and Gemmer. The early 1920’s they were using Ross (I have never seen one of them) and also Hannum. At some point they switch over to just Hannum and from the parts catalog this was 1928 or 1929 and up until 1931. Gemmer steering gears were used after 1930 or 1931 and I believe they stayed with this company for a long, long time. When you see the different steering wheels this was in part because of the different companies they used, the flat wood steering wheels went with the Hannum and the dished down wood went with the Gemmer. This is not always for sure thing as we all know that Chris Craft did change things to keep the production moving. During the time your 1929 24’ was built they used Hannum steering gears and came in two different sizes, we will call them small and large. The larger size (the one I am looking for) would be for the 26 and the 28 footers. The smaller size would then be the correct one for your boat and anything under 26 feet. From the pictures it looks like the Saginaw steering gear that was in your boat was moved forward probably because it was shorter then the original. I have learned over the years of restoration that Chris Craft used the same methods in construction of the boats to keep it simple and quick to assemble. The way your steering gear is mounted should be the same way it would have been done on all or most of the boat in that period. The wishbone over the stringers was probably the same one used on the 20, 22, and 24’ footers because the width between the stringers would have not changed that much. If any one has more information on this subject please jump in. Hope this helps with your restoration project and I would love to know more about your restoration. What is your Hull number and where did the boat come from? Mike
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout

DeanS29

Post by DeanS29 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Mike,
The boat is a model 3, Hull #2349, Hull card shows May 1929. It was a one owner boat that spent it's life in New Jersey, possibly Lake Hopatcong. It looks like someone may have changed the dash as it looks unlike any 1929 dash I have seen, but I can't see any evidence underneath that the wood is not original or has been altered. I don't know when the transition was made to 5 gauges. The gauges are not original. As previously discussed the steering gear and wheel are not correct. I have removed the gas tank and am trying to remove the rusted on drag link at the rudder. It sounds like I need to find a "small" Hannum steering gear. Were these used on a particular automobile of the era? I was wondering if I could find one through an antique car club. Thanks for the help on the steering gear and I welcome any additional advice or assistance. Thanks Dean