Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Original Throttle control?

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

woodro

Original Throttle control?

Post by woodro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 am

1940 - 17' Deluxe Runabout (71620). I'm restoring the entire boat and what looks original may be an upgrade somewhere in time. The boat has a side-arm throttle control with Morse controls. Though the steering has another control level centered in the wheel, though it's linkage isn't connected.
Any thoughts on which control I should use?
Thanks.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:37 am

Woodro, as a fellow 17 Deluxe owner, please take it back to original!!! Your little barrel is one of a few handfuls remaining. In my opinion a side mounted Morse control looks as odd as webbed feet on an elephant.

The control at the center of your steering wheel is the throttle control. First thing is to find out whether the prior owners(s) left the original throttle linkage parts in place. Search for "throttle linkage" at the top of this page. You will see a lot of discussion about the various components.

In a nutshell your linkage should look like this:

Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Here's a photo of the linkage from the lower end of the steering column to the rod that goes back to the carb. The parts consist of 1) chrome throtle lever, 2) rod inside steering column, 3) lever on bottom end of col. rod, 4) rod from lever across to port stringer, 5) "L" shaped bell crank on port stringer, 6) rod from bell crank to carb.

tom king

Post by tom king » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:43 pm

whoever stuck that Morse on there killed the real value of the boat. As Bill says, take it back to original.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Woodro, please don't take offense. Hopefully my opinion, as closed minded as it seems to be, comes from a good place. You are lucky enough to have a Barrelback...a real died in the wool barrelback. The value of your boat is directly related to her originality.

Keep in mind someone, someday was not setting out to ruin a treasure. They were just modernizing an old boat. It doesn't seem so crazy when you think of it that way.

My old 1942 Deluxe had a curved plexiglass windshield, a 1950s red interior and more front deck hardware...dual trumpet horns, dual spotlights...than you can shake a stick at. I am sure one of the prior owners was just bringing the old boat up to speed.
Bill Basler

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

:D If you are uncomfortable using the original center steering wheel mounted throttle, you can add a simple vernier type push pull throttle underneath the dash panel without doing any damage to the original linkage. Just disconnect at the carbs and hook up the new cable. IF you decide to sell your boat it only takes a few minutes to change it back to original linkage.......markmcisaacinc.com

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm

There's a good story posted on www.woodyboater.com a couple of days ago about a '42 Century that follows closely to what Bill was saying about folks quite innosently just trying to keep her up-to-date. It's been in the same family all its life, now restored back to original.

As one of the most sought after antique boats in existance you'll appreciate her value when she's restored to original, keeping he history represented accorately.

Al

DeanS29

Post by DeanS29 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:48 am

That must have been a common "improvement" to old boats in the sixties. Woodro you are fortunate to have the wheel and throttle mechanism to return your boat to original. I am still looking for steering and throttle parts for my '29 triple if anyone has one in their shed.

jrhysalexander

horn for '41 runabout, 17'

Post by jrhysalexander » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:02 pm

I'd like to find a correct/original horn for my '41 runabout...it's missing.

Would like any help you might be able to give me in identifying what is the correct make/model/mfg etc. and any advice on source. If you have your boat apart, maybe you can help. Photos would be nice, too.

Thanks!

Jim

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:40 pm

I bought two of these year before last at Dora. I gave them to Basler to help someone who needed them.

I paid $40 each for them. Basler has them and he can send to you. Bill just send me a check.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

NSJA

Post by NSJA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Woodro,

As another Barrelback owner (1942 71906), I concur with Bill and the others. These boats are treasures and we are not really owners, but, should consider ourselves conservators of artworks.

BTW, if anyone knows of a 3rd original horn out there, I would love to backdate the one in my boat to the correct type...

NSJA