Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Refinishing 18' 1960 Continental.

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JesusVilla90

Refinishing 18' 1960 Continental.

Post by JesusVilla90 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 pm

How is it going everyone? New member here, I've done a little bit of searching on this subject. I am being gifted a 1962 continental runabout from my wife's grandfather. He has taken very good care of the boat since he's owned it. It has been sitting covered and under a temp storage outside for about a few years. He usually gets it resealed and what not. But he hasn't in the years it's been coverd. He does start it and run it every so often. It's is great shape, I have been wanting a boat for awhile non the less a chris craft. He called me yesterday and offered to give it to me and keep it in the family. I am very humble to receive it. I would like to completely refinish it including new stain, the whole works. I am somewhat familiar with wood working but am no expert. I have a very heavily modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler that I have built myself along with some friends. I like to consider myself mechanically inclined. I have the drive to learn to do this myself. He just turned 80 and I would love to take him out in the summer time with it looking awesome. Any advice, knowledge, direction to look, just anything so I can start reading into it and start learning so I can do this right and not half a**ed. I apologize if some words are misspelled. I am on my phone, eating dinner. Attached are some photos I received from my wife's grandmother. I'll be going this week to bring it home.
Attachments
received_1433687523328704.jpeg
received_1433687536662036.jpeg
received_1433687549995368.jpeg
received_1433687576662032.jpeg
Last edited by JesusVilla90 on Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boat_art

Re: Complete & Proper way to refinish 62 Continental Runabou

Post by boat_art » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Too nice of a boat to take a chance on without knowing what you are doing. Recommend you take it to a reputable restorer.
If you insist on doing it yourself, look up Dannenbergs book on Amazon, read it, then read it again before you do anything.
Tom
Last edited by boat_art on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Woodworking, carpentry, and cabinetmaking are fine skills, but they are completely different from boat restoration. The skills do not cross over.
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks for the reply Tom, I will look into the book. I want to learn how to properly refinish it so I can take care of it right. Get an understanding on the maintenance required. I have always been a DIY type of guy. My wife's grandfather (Pepe) has a great share of knowledge with various styles of boats. From building them to racing them. If he feels I shouldn't attempt i won't. He knows me pretty well. Any advice from everyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Last edited by JesusVilla90 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jesus

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am

Your a lucky guy! Pepe must like you a lot. The boat looks to be in pretty nice condition. If the boat is sound, no rot and good fasteners, you can probably get away with some cleaning up, refinishing, and taking care of any mechanical issues. Sounds like Pepe is the go to guy for some guidance with the restoration. Take it slow and don't take on more than you can handle all at once. Do what needs to be done, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Good Luck and Happy Boating!

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 am

Looks like a nice boat and ready for someone to take it to the next level and get it back in shape. Don't be afraid of it it's not that difficult and you came to the right place for some help. First thing you should do its take a lot of pictures of everything they will come in handy later. Next is to remove what you can and clean the bilge thoroughly. This will revel spots that may need some attention and hopefully you don't find any rot. Not sure where you live but there is workshops going on all over the country though the Antique and Classic Boat Society so I would join that group as well. We are going to put one on in Michigan but not until fall. Let me know where you are and I may know someone that can help with information close to you. It's best to have a professional look it over to asses what you have and what the priority's are. The whole boat from what I see looks like it need to be stripped to bare wood and then stained properly and varnished. I have given several classes on this and do have note for the class that I am willing to share if you want them. Most of all have fun with it, it can be a lot of work and it will get frustrating at times but the journey is well worth it.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks for thr reply Joanroy. I was in the middle of the grocery store when he called me. It was the last thing I ever expected. Usually he calls and asked if I can do somethings for them around the house. So when he started talking about his boat I figured he just wanted me to store it in my garage. When he said "would you like to take over the boat" I was a bit confused. I ask him what he ment? He went to say Meme (Grandmother) and I couldn't think of a better person then you to have it and keep it in the family. I started jumping around the store like a little school girl. My wife was laughing and confused. When I told her he was gifting me the boat she couldn't believe it. She had to all her grandmother and ask. Coming from him and what he said was needed was just refinishing and putting new sealant in the deck seems. I'm still not sure what I did to be receiving the boat. But I want to make sure I take great care of it.
-Jesus

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:15 am

I appreciate the info maritimeclassics. I am located in Graham,was just outside of Joint base Lewis-McCord, wa. Anything I can do to start preparing myself to under take this would be awesome. Last thing I want to do is mess up badly.
-Jesus

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 am

Lovely boat. Enjoy the maintenance process because it can be very enjoyable and rewarding. My only advice is to find a way (if you haven't already) to keep the boat out of the elements in a garage or sturdy shelter.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I'll be storing it in my garage, I have my Jeep on jack stands doing some upgrades. It will be out of the garage this weekend and the boat will takes its place. I enjoy working on things and the reward that comes with it.
-Jesus

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Get Danenberg's book and read the entire 2 volume set before you start anything. You will not use a lot of information to start with but reading the whole thing will give you an idea of the whole restoration process.

Also check the directory here for other members with the same boat. You can send them private messages if you like.

Don't be afraid to take on this project with limited skills. You can learn as you go and get advice along the way.

Good luck !

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks Mark, I am so excited to become a Chris Craft owner. I haven't been this excited since I started building my Jeep. I've always have loved wood working and wood boats. I am nervous as I want to make the Ole man proud and comftable knowing I have one of his prize possession.
-Jesus

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 am

Jesus, there was no one that knew less about building/restoring boats than me when I started my project many years ago and my project was nothing more than a template for me. I did have some wood working skills but it was this very forum that help guide me to completing my project. Your project is in way better shape than a lot of projects I have seen coming across this forum, you can definitely pull it off but it will take an enormous amount of patience.
As it has already been said, research, research and you can not take too many pictures, look forward to seeing your progress.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 am

You live in a beautiful area. I was stationed at Ft Lewis and then lived in Portland OR for 18 years. So like I said you should join your local chapter that is filled with some great people. It's called the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the ACBS. Get a hold of Rob Da Pron 206-236-2123 he has a restoration shop on Mercer Island and he can help you with your inspection. Also get a hold of Curt Erickson 306-879-5429 who lives in Etonville he has a wealth of knowledge and a great guy you'll enjoy meeting him for sure. Feel free to just call them and tell them you got the number from me and give them your story, they will enjoy it. Feel free to give me a call if you like anytime. 231-486-6184
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

kjhoffman

Post by kjhoffman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:03 am

Hi.

By all means Curt and Rob are great resources and Curt lives only a few miles rom you. When I met Curt I was working at a Ford dealer as a technician and had virtually no boat building experience. I am now retired and working on my forth total restoration with another stashed away for when then current one is done. By all means Join the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society. We usually meet the second Wednesday of the month at the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle.

Sloboater

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 am

I appreciate the encouragement Terry. Thanks for the contacts and info maritimeclassics. I'll be sure to contact them. I found Don Danenberg second book at a local library. Will be checking that out. My father in law has his first book, will be reading both.
-Jesus

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm

I'll be sure to look into those clubs Kjhoffman. Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to start. Hopefully Tuesday I can bring her home and take some more pictures and post them. Got a lot of reading to do.
-Jesus

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 am

Jesus:

Welcome to the club! We are glad you have joined us. :D

This is such an exciting story of how Pepe is sharing his love of boating with you and has chosen you to take on this legacy. It is obvious by your willingness to reach out to this community that he picked the right person.

I too am an amateur in this hobby and tell you that because I feel it is important to know what source your information is coming from.

One of the very first things I would encourage you to do it read an article written by one of our long time members, Steve Bunda, on WoodyBoater. This will help you realize that there are many different kinds of people in this hobby with very different intentions for their boats. This means there are many different "correct" answers to many questions and very few hard fast answers. http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2013/05 ... rspective/

Joanroy makes a good point in saying "Take it slow and don't take on more than you can handle all at once. Do what needs to be done, but if it ain't broke don't fix it." I like to use my boats every summer and repair/refinish some part every year. This allows me time to enjoy the fruits of my labor without getting discouraged.

On the other hand Toubanur took many years of dedicated time to restore his boat without being able to run it at all. He is very dedicated and has a beautiful boat to show for it.

It sounds like you have been given some great contacts and good advice here. I would through out one more name that is a little further away from you by about 3 hours. That is Mike Mayer at Lake Oswego Boat Co. near Portland. He would be another great source for you to talk with. http://www.loboat.com/home.html

Again WELCOME!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am

Woodworking, carpentry, and cabinetmaking are fine skills, but they are completely different from boat restoration. The skills do not cross over.
Tom

Hmmmm, guess I didn't get that memo when I started playing with these old WOOD boats many years ago :D

Go for it JV90 but get Don's books.
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Will do, I'm excited to start this. Got to get my Jeep out of the garage. Currently on my way to go look at the boat and talk to Pepe. I know it has a crate chevy 350 in it.
-Jesus

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

So I wasn't able to take photos today. But I was able to talk to Pepe about the boat over dinner. He has owned the boat since 1972-1973. He got the boat from a friend who worked at a century dealership. The first owner traded it into the dealer to buy a new century fiberglass boat. The guy got $1200 trade in for it. Pepe's friend owned the dealership and bought the boat for the trade in value. He's owned it ever since. Im 2000-2001 Pepe along with a friend restored his chris craft along with his friends chris craft together. Helping each other along the way. He paid a friend 4k to fiberglass the bottom over the wood. He mentioned he stained the boat using a spray something similar to West system. He can't recall what it was exactly and then used a high grade polyurethane clear coat to finish it. He said he did it that way because he wasn't making a show boat. He said he was doing it so he had a boat he could use and keep in the water for a little bit if he wanted to. Never did, always taking it out of the water every night. He's not sure exactly what the stuff he used was called or was since it's been so long. He also took the tired 283 and put in a new crate chevy 350 when he restored it. Any idea what west systen he could of used?. He said he's gonna call his buddy who he bought the stuff from and see what it was. Here is a picture the first time he took it out.
Attachments
20170309_194719.jpg
-Jesus

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 am

West System epoxy is to thick to spray. It can be thinned, but not recommended. He may have used an expoxy product called CPES. It is thin and acts as a sealer and will harden wood fibers, but not make the wood stronger. Whatever is on her can be stripped and sanded back to bare wood and then restrained and varnished. I prefer traditional stains, sealers, and varnishes.

Glassing the bottom of a wooden boat is considered a no no by most wood boat guys due to the fact that moisture becomes trapped between the glass and the wood planking. It can't dry out and eventually will rot out the original wood bottom. Although, depending on who did the glass job and how well it was done, a glass bottom can keep an old wood boat afloat for many year before the rot starts. If the glass and bottom is well attached and solid, I wouldn't mess with it. Just keep an eye on it and keep the inside of the boat as dry as possible after use. Once you get the boat you can do some poking around in the bilge and see how the frame and planking is holding up. Everything is repairable and you may want to do a full bottom replacement eventually, but it's a huge job that requires a high level of skill.

When you get the boat home, post some pics of the bilge, bottom, and chine.

drrot

Post by drrot » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 am

Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer can be sprayed.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am

Going back over there tomorrow (Saturday). Hopefully it's not raining out here in Washington. I'll mention what yall have said to him and see if it rings a bell. He was telling me alot of people consider it a no no. I plan on using stain, sealer, varnish. From what I'm finding is I like a little darker stain. No to dark but a happy medium.
-Jesus

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 am

Anyone happen to know where I can look around the boat to find some sort of hull i.d. number ?
-Jesus

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am

Top cross plank behind the back seat top (Port side). both engine stringers around the engine. Pull off the white piece of upholstery to the left of the gauge cluster and it will be on the back. CL -21- xxxx.
Attachments
Ipad 2 Photos 385.jpg
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

JesusVilla90

Post by JesusVilla90 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 pm

How do I find out what the hull numbers (CL-18-0885) mean and how to obtain an original build sheet.
-Jesus

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Based on your hull number, your boat is a 18 foot Continental and was built in 1959 or 1960. Total number built 982. A hull card and other information can be obtained through the Mariners Museum in Virginia.

Interior color was offered in the mint green and original power was a 283. Later models had a quarter-inch plywood bottom covered in mahogany.

JesusVilla90

Re: Refinishing 18' 1960 Continental.

Post by JesusVilla90 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for all the replies. I have since removed the boat off the trailer and onto a dolly. I have already removed all trim pieces as well as stripped the entire boat of its finish. I have also sanded down with 80 grit and have bleached the entire boat once. I will be bleaching once more and then sanding down with 120 or 150. I have purchased interlux cc 573 red mahogany stain and Smith's CPES. My question is am I safe to use the CPES with the interlux stain? I've attached a photo of my progress.
Attachments
20170529_165241.jpg
20170529_164057.jpg
Last edited by JesusVilla90 on Tue May 30, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jesus

joanroy

Re: Refinishing 18' 1960 Continental.

Post by joanroy » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Prior to staining I stop sanding at 80 grit to give the stain and sealer a bite. Finer sanding comes later when you get into the varnish. You thin the stain with the recommended thinner to the consistency of house paint, brush on, wait a while, and wipe off to obtain an evenly stained finish. If you haven't done it before practice on a piece of scrap wood first. Let the stain dry In completely for a couple days in ideal conditions after the wipe. I start my finish with two coats of Interlux sealer then two coats of varnish before the first light sand. You don't want to break through the finish and get into the stain. I'm not a fan ofCPES as a sealer..Others will disagree.

If you search around under Finishes here, you'll find a ton of advice, discussion, and great info. GoodLuck.
Last edited by joanroy on Tue May 30, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.