Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Aqua Meter (speedometer) Disassembly

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Riviera Wish

Aqua Meter (speedometer) Disassembly

Post by Riviera Wish » Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Technically this is not a Chris Craft item however I am hopeful that one of the club members has experience with the Aqua Meter speedometer gauges. I have taken the gauge apart except for removal of the gauge needle. Would like to remove the needle so that the gauge face can be cleaned and possibly clear coated. looking for suggestions on how to remove the needle without doing damage to the gauge. I have tried penetrating oil on the center of the needle and pulling rather hard on the needle center with pliers; no luck. Photos attached. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

Bilge Rat

Re: Aqua Meter (speedometer) Disassembly

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue May 16, 2017 10:30 am

If you Google clock hand and gear puller, you will find miniature pullers that might fit the center shaft of the gauge. Like a regular sized gear puller, the "arms" of the puller surround the needle and the center screw bears on the shaft. Amazon has a couple listed, the Mascot adjustable width one is the model I used back in the day of mechanical master clock repairs. Yeah I know, I just dated myself with that one. :roll:
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for that information. The next question is "how do I get the needle back on ?". Tap with a miniature hammer?

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm

It could be threaded. Try holding the shaft and turning the needle gently counter clockwise. I cleaned up some gauges once that were like that.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Fri May 19, 2017 11:38 am

That makes some sense. The clock hand pullers all seem to have a center drive pin that is larger than the hole in the center of the needle, i.e. they would not apply force to the shaft while pulling on the needle. The hole in the center of the needle appears to be about 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch in diameter. I'll try to unscrew the needle and report back. Thanks for that alternative suggestion.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 pm

While the needle may unscrew from the shaft I must admit that the small tool(s) necessary to do the job are not in my possession. Further as I looked at the gauge and the finesse required to do the job I 'chickened out'. I was afraid I would do damage to the gauge while attempting to remove the needle. Decided to go with a coat of WD-40 on the gauge face to brighten it up and be done with it. Appreciate you folks' suggestions.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat May 20, 2017 7:24 pm

They are rather inexpensive on ebay