Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Jabsco water pump

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

iamallthumbs

Jabsco water pump

Post by iamallthumbs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Long story short, after an engine rebuild the motor started and water came out the tailpipe for a minute or so then stopped. The pump shaft is not rotating with the engine. It is a 1947 K. Is it possible that the shaft was replaced incorrectly? I am looking for a schematic to understand how it works before taking anything apart. The engine guy says he did not touch the workings of the pump, it was removed and replaced intact. Does the nut with a screw inside at the aft end of the engine on an alignment with the shaft have anything to do adjusting the shaft?

I am hoping to get it running so I can use it this year. Any help will be appreciated.
M~
Mike D.

1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-413 BOOMER (user boat)
1947 CC Deluxe Runabout R-17-872 ZOOM-ZOOM (project boat)
1965 25' Folkboat SALTY DOG (lapstrake sailboat)
Barn with room for more boats!

Chad Durren

Re: Jabsco water pump

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Had the same symptoms with the Jabsco on my K a couple years ago. No water coming out after I installed a new impeller. Saw that the pump shaft wasn't spinning so I pulled it. Discovered a crack on the notched collar (?) on the shaft. The notch mates up with the shaft that spins the distributor. Had a new part machined and it now works as it should.
Attachments
IMG_4356.JPG
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

iamallthumbs

Post by iamallthumbs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am

I will pull the pump today to try and find out what is going on.
Thanks
Mike D.

iamallthumbs

Post by iamallthumbs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 pm

This problem solved....for now. I pulled the water pump and saw that the tongue (?) on the shaft was partly worn where the collar rubbed. I loosened the nut on the back the engine and was able to move the tongue forward to engage the collar. Whoever worked on the pump last reinstalled it with a thick cork gasket. I replaced it with a thin gasket which allowed the collar to engage more of the tongue. I put the pump back on and fired up the engine and the water flew out of the exhaust. I will see about replacing the worn part this winter.

Anybody have the correct names for the two parts?

This problem is solved. Now I get to stay awake at night wondering what the next problem will be. Thanks for the help.
Mike D.

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:09 pm

iamallthumbs wrote:This problem solved....for now. I pulled the water pump and saw that the tongue (?) on the shaft was partly worn where the collar rubbed. I loosened the nut on the back the engine and was able to move the tongue forward to engage the collar. Whoever worked on the pump last reinstalled it with a thick cork gasket. I replaced it with a thin gasket which allowed the collar to engage more of the tongue. I put the pump back on and fired up the engine and the water flew out of the exhaust. I will see about replacing the worn part this winter.

Anybody have the correct names for the two parts?

This problem is solved. Now I get to stay awake at night wondering what the next problem will be. Thanks for the help.
The bolt you tightened up sets the end play on that gear. IF you tightened it to tight your going to chew up the end of the adjuster and the fiber thrust washer. This one and the other to should have been set by the engine builder. All of the parts above are no longer available new. You will have to find used ones.

You want one to two thousandths between the gear and the adjuster. Anymore then this and you will be doing damage to the parts mentioned above.

The correct name is the accessory drive. The tongue is made to the shaft. This shaft also drives the distributor.

The part on the pump is called the cam. These might be available new.

From your first post it sounds like your engine guy put the wrong gasket on it.

iamallthumbs

Post by iamallthumbs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Chad/Jim, thanks for your help. Jim, when you say that the wrong adjustment will "chew up the end of the adjuster and the fiber thrust washer." is that something that is obvious? I ask because I ran the engine for an hour at low revolutions and have not noticed any issues with the pump or distributer. I would like to use the boat some more this year before I see about having the accessory drive coupling replaced.

Am I going to have to pull the engine again to have this problem corrected?
Mike D.