Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Installing new cap rails

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

rpccc43

Installing new cap rails

Post by rpccc43 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Greetings all,

Over the winter I made all new cap rails for my 1965 43' Connie and am now looking forward to installing them. The part I am definitely not looking forward to is riddling them full of holes and creating nearly 500 bungs to cover the fasteners. The original rails had a fastener every 4"-5" on both sides of each board with double rows approximately an inch apart across the end of each board.

My question is, using modern, high strength adhesives would it be possible to reduce the number of fasteners? I'd likely stick with the double row on the ends of each board and there are 4 long fasters at each stanchion base (approximately every 4 ft.) but I like to significantly reduce the number of hole that are necessary to fasten the boards along the edges. Aside from the labor, it's a shame to have to drill into this beautiful wood any more than necessary. Thoughts? Thank you.

Don Danenberg

Re: Installing new cap rails

Post by Don Danenberg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:48 pm

3M-5200 and no problems.
I would still use fasteners at ends and where stanchions might need support, also where a fastener is necessary to pull it down tight to spooge the rubber.

What I would do is shape and fit them, placing whatever minimal screws are needed, then remove them and stain and varnish them on the bench, at least most build-coats.
After assembly, carefully pare down the bungs with a very sharp chisel, or rivet router, stain the bungs, varnish the bungs, then do a couple of over-all finish coats.

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Thank You! Music to my ears!

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm a bit confused by your use of the term "Cap Rail"?
A Cap Rail is generally a "CAP" to a raised bulwark, 2" or more above the deck.
A "Toe-Rail" mounts directly to the deck.

If you can post a photo of your original installations, perhaps I can help with the least messy way to go about the new installations?

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:02 pm

I just went back to my shop to retrieve the MM 'Essential Guide' and that photo of '43' Constellation: 1965', doesn't show if there is, or is not, a raised bulwark?
It does, however, list 'Deck color' as "White Vinyl".

If this vinyl needs replacement, you had best do this before rubbering anything to it!

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Dan,

Yes, using your definition they are indeed toe rails and sit entirely on the deck from bow to stern. Regarding the white vinyl, I'm not going that route. Probably going to use either genuine wood strips set in epoxy or eva decking, still mulling that over. Thank you for your replies.~ R

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 am

I dealt with that "white vinyl".....nautilex.....no longer available is my understanding....most of the older cruisers , over the years, pulled that vinyl off and just painted the deck with maybe some sand or nonskid. That EVA product would seem to be a good retro technology for these applications. It is great as nonskid and that is so important on the old slick decks....Not the thing for cabin tops...though I have seen guys have success on cabin tops with pickup truck tonneau (spelling?) cover vinyl....you can get it to look very close and in good widths.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)