Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cockpit floor stain

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Cockpit floor stain

Post by SAMBA » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 am

I am refinishing the floor of the aft cockpit on my 1953 34' Sedan Cabin Cruiser. Obviously not mahogany; as I understand it, the floor material is spruce or fir? Down to bare wood now. 2 questions- Was there a stain on this wood, or was it just varnish over bare wood? After stripping but before sanding, it looks like just bare wood (that is, it did not appear that there was stain on the wood). Second, on a floor like this, is it best to caulk the seams before or after varnishing? Looks like the previous varnish was applied OVER the caulked seam.
Thanks, Dan

Captain Nemo

Re: Cockpit floor stain

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu May 17, 2018 6:38 am

Cockpit decking on cruisers were either douglas fir or teak, the difference is obviously the teak is the much harder of the two. Neither was stained. I varnished over the caulking because I wanted to tone down the seams for a patina look, just a preference.
I would post a picture but it appears I no longer can.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks so much. Mine is thus Doug Fir, definitely not teak. Will varnish over the caulk as well. Thanks for backing up my leanings with experience; hate to do these things twice!
Dan

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun May 20, 2018 2:20 pm

I second the varnish over the white seams. Knocks down the bright white and gives it a vintage look, kind of like the aged white binding on a Gibson guitar it just looks right to me.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"